5 Best Eco-Friendly Pie Pans For Your Next Apple Pie
The pie is delicious. Pie is also a great way to get a few extra servings of fruit or veggies in your diet—not just because it usually has fruit and veggies in it, but also because it’s easy to put together and bake. What I’m saying is, that pie is good for you! So if we’re all going to be eating more pie this fall, we must make sure our pies are eco-friendly as well as tasty. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to do that—even if you’re baking using non-plastic materials like ceramic or glass. Here are five of my favourite eco-friendly pie pans out there:
Vremi Ceramic Pie Pan
Vremi Ceramic Pie Pans are resistant to discolouration, staining, and odours. They are also non-porous, so they won’t absorb the flavours of any foods you cook. Plus, these pans are safe for use in the microwave oven, freezer and dishwasher. They can be used on both gas and electric cooktops.
The Vremi pan has a minimalistic design and provides stability when you’re baking pies or cooking dinner. The handles use silicone material and are ergonomic for comfort when lifting hot pies from your oven or stovetop after baking them.
Material: Carbon Steel Ceramic coated
Size: 3-piece white
Dimensions: 17.91 x 12.28 x 1.61 inches
Weight: 4.14 pounds
Material Type Free: PFOA Free, PTFE Free, BPA Free
Colored Aluminum Pie Pan Set
You’ll love the healthy, eco-friendly benefits of these Colored Aluminium Pie Pans.
- Safe and healthy: Aluminum is a safe, non-toxic material that’s easy on your body. This makes it an ideal choice for people with food allergies or sensitivities to certain materials.
- Durable and lightweight: Unlike ceramic and glass dishes, aluminium can handle the heat of your oven without cracking or chipping. Plus, these pans are lightweight enough to easily move them around on your countertop without straining yourself in the process!
- Dishwasher safe: Cleaning up after dinner has never been easier than with these colourful pie pans; just toss them in the dishwasher (or wash them manually if you prefer) for a sparkling finish every time!
Colour: Black & Gold, Blue, Gold, Pink, Red, and White
Dimensions: 5 x 5 x 1.12 inches
Weight: 1.9 pounds
GreenPan Paris Pro
These GreenPan Paris Pro use cast iron, which means it’s durable, durable, and easy to clean. It has ribbed sides that make it easy to grip and also allows for air circulation so your pies will cook evenly.
It can be used with metal utensils when cooking savoury tarts or quiches. Don’t use metal knives on this particular pan because they will scratch the nonstick coating. To clean this pan after use, simply hand wash it in warm water with soap and dry it immediately.
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit before baking your apple pie. This helps ensure that all sides of the crust get cooked evenly and prevents burning on top! A great trick for getting a crispy bottom crust on pies is placing a baking stone directly underneath where you’ll be placing your pie — no more soggy bottoms!
Material: Ceramic coated
Dimensions: 11 x 11 x 3 inches
Weight: 6.04 pounds
Material Type Free: PFOA Free, PFAS Free, Lead-Free, and Cadmium Free
Good Cook 9-Inch Non-Stick Pie Pan
Good Cook’s 9-inch Non-Stick Pie Pan is a great choice if you’re looking to bake a pie. Non-stick surfaces are easy to clean, and this one is safe to use in the oven, microwave and dishwasher. It can also be used for pies that require no crusts at all. You can simply pour your filling into this pan and then pop it into the oven!
This pan uses heavy-gauge aluminium, so you know it’ll last through many holiday seasons ahead. Plus, since it comes with a lifetime warranty from Good Cook, their confidence in their product should give you some peace of mind too.
Dimensions: 11.5 x 9.7 x 3.5 inches
Weight: 0.05 pounds
Fox Run Petite Tart and Quiche Pans
These Fox Run Petite Tart and Quiche Pans use aluminium, which means they won’t rust or leave stains on your baking sheet. The 9-inch diameter allows you to make all kinds of desserts, including quiches, tarts, and pies. It’s dishwasher-safe and features a nonstick surface for easy cleaning. The pan comes in four colours: white, red, blue, and green.
This versatile pan can be used to make a variety of different desserts like pies and quiches but also cookies and brownies! If you want something more traditional for dessert making then this pie plate might be what you’re looking for! The round shape allows you to bake multiple smaller items at once without having them stick together. And the shiny finish ensures nothing sticks easily onto its surface so cleanup shouldn’t be an issue.
Material: Alloy Steel
Dimensions: 9.5 x 9.5 x 1 inches
Weight: 0.6 pounds
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are pie pans recyclable?
You may be surprised to learn that all of these pie pans are recyclable, but they are!
- Paper Pie Pans: You can recycle paper pie pans through your local recycling centre. Just make sure to remove the foil and cardboard backing before tossing them in with your other recyclables.
- Aluminum Pie Pans: These will be more difficult to recycle due to their size and density, but aluminium pie pans can still be recycled at some facilities. If you aren’t sure where your local recycling centre takes aluminium, check out Earth911’s guide on how to recycle aluminium in your area.
- Glass Pie Pans: It’s hard enough finding a place where glass bottles get picked up, so it might take some research on what happens around you before throwing away a glass pie pan—but this is another option if you don’t want your used pan ending up as landfill trash or ocean garbage.
- Metal Pie Pans: Metal is usually easy enough for recycling centres to handle (especially if it’s not stainless steel), so if there isn’t an alternative above available near you then this is the best way forward when disposing of old metal baking dishes like these made out of tin alloy instead; just make sure they haven’t been painted first since paints cannot be recycled along with any other kinds either!
- Plastic Pie Pans: In most cases, plastic utensils can go directly into curbside bins without any problems whatsoever due to typically being made from #4 plastics like polystyrene which would otherwise end up in landfills if left alone outside by itself without something else present too heavily outweighing its impact thereon.”
Do disposable pie pans work?
No, they don’t. Disposable aluminium pans with a non-stick surface might seem like the perfect solution for your next pie recipe, but you should know that this type of pan is not made to be used over and over again. A disposable pie dish has a non-stick coating that will wear down quickly with repeated use, making it more difficult to get your pie out without the crust sticking to the sides of the pan. If you wash the metal in too hot water or place it in an oven at too high a temperature, the metal itself can start showing signs of corrosion.
The bottom line? While disposable pie plates may work well as a first try at baking pies, they aren’t recommended for anything beyond that initial experiment.
Is a glass or metal pie pan better?
If you’re making a pie, glass is the way to go. It will allow your pie to cook more evenly and brown more easily. If you’re making a quiche, metal is better because it conducts heat well—and allows for faster cooking times.
For pies that need to be browned on the bottom, metal will work just as well as glass (or even better!). For pies that need steaming or baking in water baths, glass is ideal because it’s non-reactive and won’t leach chemicals into your food while they’re cooking. Finally, if your pie has cream or custard fillings (like pumpkin), we recommend using metal so that their temperature doesn’t drop too low during baking. When this happens there’s little chance of them setting properly before being finished off with an egg wash crust.
We hope this article has encouraged you to consider going green when it comes to baking pies. It’s important to know that the material you use doesn’t have any impact on the taste of your pie, but it can make a difference in how you feel about what you’ve created at the end of the day. We know there are many options out there when shopping for eco-friendly pie pans, so we hope we helped narrow down some choices for our readers today!
- 8 of the Most Practical & Most Beautiful Sustainable Tote Bags
- 5 Reasons Why Sustainable Hangers Are Worth Investing In
- Sustainable Body Wash: The Green Alternative For Your Loved Ones!
- Sustainable Accessories: A New Addition To Your Fashion Collection
- Shop Environmentally Friendly Toys At Hape